These tips do not constitute legal advice. We are not lawyers. These are simply common knowledge based off our understanding of Rhode Island law. Please research the laws for yourself and contact a lawyer or the police if you have any doubts about a law. Contact us if any info is out of date or you have any questions.
- Always identify yourself & provide ID to police when asked.
- Never resist arrest. Ask if you are being detained & can leave.
- ALWAYS record ALL interactions with police on video and audio, for yourself or any citizens you see. Give them your #.
- NEVER consent to a search of your person, car, or property.
- Get the names & badge numbers of any officer who approaches you.
- If being detained, ask all bystanders to record your arrest.
- Anything you say can and will be used against you in court.
- Speak calmly, seriously and cautiously dealing with police.